After our quite get-away in the jungle of Koh Yao Noi, it’s time for some action! We wanted to know if Koh Phi Phi is really all about partying and tourists, or if there is a bit more to this group of islands.
First off, thank you guys for 10K on Instagram! We never thought this would even be possible when we decided to share our lifestyle as a couple with you. We are so thrilled and honored to share this with you and for receiving all the comments and likes! Thank you so much for all the love! ?
A speedboat took us from the Manoh Pier in Yao Noi to Tonsai Bay Pier in Koh Phi Phi Don, its biggest and most touristy island. The trip takes about an hour and you see a lot of limestone cliffs on the way! It is also possible to travel by Ferry, but this takes a little longer (read: double the time) and is much more crowdy. It is cheaper though, a speedboat costs around 1200 baht per person, and the ferry around 300 baht per person.
First impression is always important, especially in this case! So we won’t hold you in tension any longer. If you want to go to South-West Thailand and visit the Phi Phi Islands, please do! We had an amazing time and are glad that we visited Phi Phi Don and Phi Phi Leh. The only thing is, although Koh Phi Phi is beautiful, you need to know when and where to go to avoid tourists at any time. Cuz, believe us on this one, it is crowdy everywhere!
We have a few tips for you to enjoy Koh Phi Phi so you feel like you have the islands to yourself (well, almost then) ..
- Make sure you start your day early. There are a lot of young people at the island that are there to party. While they sleep in, you have the beach, market or viewpoint to yourself.
- Take your own long tail boat instead of the usual group tour. You can decide at what time you start, where you want to go to, and how long you will stay there (Extra tip: tours usually start at 10am so make sure you start before that time!).
- Try to work your way around the touristy routes. Take the local trail to viewpoint, make your island tour the other way around and book your stay away from Tonsai Bay or Loh Dalam Bay. Note that there are no motorised bikes or cars on the island to take you anywhere, so everything is by foot or boat.
- Visit the fireshows and bars at Loh Dalam Beach at 9pm instead of 12am. It will still be crowded, but not so much as when you will go there at night. If you prefer to watch it from a distance search for a bar with a rooftop view! Banana bar has one ?.
- Last but not least, be aware of the sun between 12pm and 3pm. You get sunburned really easily so use a good sunscreen all the time!
Remember when you go that Koh Phi Phi is touristy, no matter what you do. But, with our tips it should be possible to visit the island group without being flooded by all the people. Oh and one last tip, go get breakfast at Grand PP Arcade (somewhere near Loh Dalam Bay). It’s cheap and really good! We’ve been there 3 days during our stay at Koh Phi Phi for breakfast, lunch ánd dinner. We recommend it to you!
Also, if you have any questions about your stay or trip, feel free to ask them in the comments, we are glad to help! Here are some photos that didn’t make it to Instagram ?.
Iss & Maud